Monday, January 13, 2014

Art - The Why

How It Began

There is something elemental to my soul about creating something beautiful.  I will begin this by readily admitting, I am totally indebted to others who created many amazing signs before I did.  In 2011, I began my Pinterest boards and loved all the different styles of signs that I found, but  was truly inspired to create my own when I saw one painted with a bible verse.  Inspiring, life-giving scripture on a beautiful, background of wood.  As I had always thought there was a lack of cool, scripture art for the walls, I began wondering if I could do this.
Names of Christ
I began by buying a few pre-made stencils and started teaching myself, through trial and error.  And much internet searching.  "How-to's."  (There are not many "how-to's" to explained the details of what I needed to know, so that is maybe one of my next projects....more "how -to's" on my blog!)   After I got the painting process down, I progressed to designing my own stencils.
The design step is so much fun.  Typography... classy....simple... there are so many options.  My first design idea and the closest to my heart is the "Names of Christ" sign.  I was inspired and pray you are too, by the One who loves me and died for me.  The One who freed my soul and gives me amazing Grace.   


A Former Jehovah's Witness

I have not always known the gospel of the grace of Jesus.  I was once a Jehovah's Witness and was blind to the life giving truth of his death on the cross and all that it bought me.  I had no idea of the battle that was won that day and the victory that could be mine if only I claimed it.  
Thankfully, God always had a plan to bring me out of the guilt and confusion the religion had left in my mind.  The dawn of truth truly began when I started a women's bible study called "Breaking Free" by Beth Moore.  Such a fire that  first bible study began in me, that I have not stopped studying His word in the 8 years since.  God  placed a desire in me to truly, know Him through personal time in prayer.  This is a desire I have followed and it is a crucial part of who I am.  My prayer time and personal study of His word every day is as vitally important to me as food and water.  

Where We Are Now, Homeschoolers

I am now a homeschool mom to three, something that I never dreamed I would be capable of.  The longer we walk on this journey the more and more grateful we all are for the opportunity.  It is an amazing gift, to be able to shape not only my children's education and learn what inspires them to grow intellectually, but to shape their character as well.  To set before them a feast of inspiring stories of courage and nobility. Stories of the impact Jesus makes on the world through the lives of missionaries and His people. To set aside the time they need to truly learn the Bible at this wonderful young age and know He is writing those words on their hearts.  Thank you, Jesus.

The Name

I never thought to call myself an artist, until the day a precious neighbor came curiously peeking in my garage to see what I had going on.  She loved what I was doing said she never knew I had an interest in art!  I began to see the signs in a whole new way.  I knew my story of transformation would impact others, so therefore the name of my shop... Faith Art Transformations... or to fit the space for an Etsy shop: FaithArtTransform.  

 

The Art

There had to be something unique about my work.  The background was crucial to me.  These pieces of wood would also need to be transformed, into works of art.  I began playing around with paint and two tone finishes.  Glazes and washes.  The finishes were a difficult process to perfect, but worth the effort. 
As much as I enjoy coming up with an inspiring sign, I also enjoy working with my clients to make their ideas a reality.  I love being able to produce something that someone else dreamed up and adding my own touches along the way. 
But most of all, yes, I love being able to take words from the pages of scripture that bring comfort, hope, peace, life and more and create a beautiful work of art with them.  I love that when I give a piece to someone I can give them something that has been prayed over and will have it's own story with it wherever it goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment